Friday, 24 May 2013

How to dress appropriately for an Interview: River island


So as you know, I was working in RI over the Christmas period as a temp but before I got the job, I had to attend a recruitment event in the store. Basically it was an interview with three stages. It's hard to know what to wear when going for a specific retail shop because you want to show that you shop there but at the same time, you don' want to look overly eager. The second you walk into the interview room, you're immediately judged on your ensemble and how much or how little makeup your wearing. I know it sounds silly but it's appearance is very important in retail.

They want to hire someone that customers will be able to look at and immediately identify that they are an employee in River island. I know it sounds shallow but it's how it is. So if any of you have an interview with River Island, dress as if you were going to work on the ladies floor in the actual shop. they also love it if you're on trend. Also, DO NOT go over board on the eye makeup. It's a day time shop not a night club. They want people working there, not pandas. At most, only go as far as the flick above the eyelashes (cats eye look) when it comes to eyeliner and stay neutral with eye shadow. You don't want to scare anyone off.

When I went for the interview I wore a black flared skater skirt (RI), black 3/4 length sleeve top (A|Wear), over sized camouflage jacket (RI), long gold cross chain necklace (Penneys), Gok Wan cats eyes glasses (Specsavers), plain black tights and studded biker boots (RI). I was showing that I had an interest in the clothing in River Island but wasn't completely over enthusiastic. They tend to be weirded out by that?

So there it is. How you dress really can determine your chances on getting hired, especially in a high end fashion retail shop such as River Island.

What I Wore




Much Love,
Shannon.
xoxo




5 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the info, any other things about the recruitment process you think would help, I was thinking of wearing a plain black skater skirt as well, with a plain top, cardi, and big necklace since there in fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment :) I can do a post on the whole process if you'd like? It's not as scary as it seems ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I have the recruitment event coming up and Id love to know the different stages of it and what happens. And any tips you may have. thanks! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siobhan! Sorry for the late reply. My comments section has been acting up on my laptop. The only recruitment even t I have been to was in River Island. Basically, you sit in a room with other interviewees and you do group activities. To be honest, it's quite fun. My interview was 2 years ago now so I don't know if they've changed it up but it was rather simple. They'd go around the circle, ask your name, hobbies, etc. They also asked us to come up with ways to improve the company and then finally, split us into groups, made up a scenario and we had to style an outfit appropriate for the occasion as well as come up with 5 selling points. For example, washes well, key wardrobe piece, can be used for both casual and formal, etc. The last part of the interview was a one to one with a manager. It was pretty much like any other interview (strengths, weaknesses, hobbies, experience, why you deserve the job). They also asked me at the end of mine what the nicest thing I had ever done for someone was. Don't know why but it was a question. So prep for the one to one like you would for any other interview. Hopefully this was helpful!x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete