Thursday, 4 April 2013

Top Tips on How to be A Fashionista


Here is my ultimate guide on how to become, be, and act like a fashionista. Talking stereotypically here, a fashionista is usually a person whose wardrobe is full of designer clothes, shoes, handbags, accessories, lives the life of glamour, goes to all the expensive venues, has a non-stop social life and so on. But I have a much more different view on what a fashionista is. Here are my top 5 tips on how to be a true fashionista.

#1 Knowledge
As a person who is interested in fashion, YOU NEED TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF THE FASHION WORLD. It is a key factor. Know the designers, the brands, the best locations, history of fashion, etc. It is all about what you know not how you act. It's the knowledge of the fashion world that will get you places. None of that airy fairy nonsense ;)


#2 Read
I personally found it very beneficial reading books on styling, clothing, branding, history, biographies, auto-biographies, etc of the fashion world. A lot of them are usually written by stylists or designers themselves so you are given a really good insight of the typical journey an aspiring designer/stylist has to go through. This part links in with the knowledge paragraph. It's a stepping stone to becoming a genius at all things fashion. Here are some books that I have read and found EXTREMELY beneficial:


#3 Trend Setting
A true fashionista styles her outfits with items that were originally figments of his/her imagination. It can be as easy as making the hottest new necklace into a hairband. It really is about making an outfit you own or you can be totally crazy and do the opposite to what everyone else is doing. For example, back when I was in primary school and everyone was going mad for the Canterbury track suit pants, I bought a pair of platform army boots instead. I literally wore them until the soles fell off. My Mum originally brought me into town to get the pants for school but I was only doing it because everyone else was. But then I saw the boots. That was the day when I stopped being afraid of not being "on trend". I began to create my own and to this day, I am proud to say that I am still getting compliments :P



#4 Bargain Hunting
Let's face it, there is no way in hell that you will be getting a new Dior jacket or Prada boots. Nowadays, you really have to sniff them out. The sales are an endless pit of material but with a good eye and determination, you will find a killer outfit that will knock everyone out of the park. I can't remember the last time that I didn't buy something in a sale. It really does require a lot of patience and free time. Charity shops are great for sneaking some cheap designer gear. A friend of mine got a Julian McDonald fur jacket for only €10 in the GSPCA shop a couple of weeks ago! Sometimes it just takes some imagination and a great sense of style to have an amazing outfit. Having something designer doesn't make an outfit. It's what you do and how you put it together that makes people go "Wow! Where the hell did she get that?"

#5 Confidence in your own Creations
DIY is becoming big now and it's also extremely enjoyable. I've seen some of my friends tackle the DIY experience and the stuff they produce looks great but sometimes they don't believe that it is. Confidence in yourself and your creations are what get you noticed as a fashionista. Mouthing off about what you have or what you're going to get just makes you look like a bit of a twit. If you want a tweed Chanel jacket but can't afford it, MAKE ONE! It's easy and there are patterns for it in all dress making shops. And it also gives you the chance to jazz it up a bit and make it a one-off original piece. I always say, it's not what you wear, it's how you wear it. Wear it with confidence and pride ;)


Much Love,
Shannon.
xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment